Sunday, March 29, 2009

She's not my child.

We eat curry about once a week here. Hubby and I both love it- and it has so many variations that we never tire of it. Indian curries, with lentils and cauliflower, Thai curries with rich coconut milk, even the occasional Chinese curry. Throw some veggies together, add a protein, choose a spice-profile, and simmer away. So when a mommy-friend recently posted a Shrimp and Pineapple Curry recipe online I knew it was for us. Let me just say, I didn't just eat seconds, I ate THIRDS! It was sweet, slightly spicy, creamy (ie fattening), and delish....


Thanks Amanda!!!
(BTW, the thai basil and cilantro topping the dish came from my very own herb garden. I'm inordinately proud of this small garden...)
Here's a quickie recipe (adjusted a tad from original):

one can coconut cream
1/2 a fresh pineapple
one green pepper, roughly chopped and seeded
2 tomatoes, chopped and seeded
1/4 onion, roughly chopped
3 sliced garlic cloves
2 tbsp red curry paste

2 tbsp fish sauce
three spoons of honey
hot chili-infused sesame oil (to taste)
12 oz shrimp
cilantro/basil for garnish
brown or jasmine rice


Put all ingredients but tomato and shrimp in large skillet or wok, heat until sauce thickens a bit and veggies are tender- if pepper is getting too cooked, add flour (try soy flour!) to thicken sauce sooner. Add shrimp and tomatoes- cook until shrimp are no longer translucent. Serve over rice with cilantro/basil.


We were sitting down at the dinner table to this amazing dish, when Kenz caught sight of her portion. She made this face:

What?! You crazy child, this is the most delicious thing your Mommy has made in weeks, and you turn your nose up at it? I tell you, she's not mine! No child of mine would refuse curry... I noticed when taking above picture that I had forgotten to change the camera settings, so it was blurry. I asked Kenzi to make her sad face again. Here's what she gave me:


"Kenzi, is that your sad face?" "Yea...so sad."
I think she wound up eating one bite of rice and a string cheese for dinner. We battled. Mom and Dad lost. (We always lose....)


1 comment:

  1. So glad you liked it. We need to do a curry recipe exchange. We eat a lot of it, too. Indian, Thai, Japanese - you name it. I think Leif had the same meal as Kenzi the last time we made curry: rice and cheese. The pics are great.

    ReplyDelete