Sunday, March 29, 2009

Love affair with grain.

Sunday mornings are pancakes at our house. A note on my pancakes: most people would not recognize them as "pancakes." They are ugly. Really ugly....
But this is one of those times when you should not judge a book by it's lumpy, brown mottled cover. 'Cuz these babies rock. I think the secret to my success is my holy trinity of grain. On my counter, and scooped into almost everything I cook/serve, are canisters of ground flax meal (omega-3s), wheat germ (protein, potassium, iron, and vitamin E), and soy flour (protein).

Please note: in above picture, absolutely no photoshopping was done to remove dirt from countertop. Because that would be super-lame. Really, what kind of a person would do that?...

Kenzi and I don't eat red meat or poultry, so it's important to add protein sources and omega-3s to our diets. An easy and delicious way to add these grains? Scoop into yogurt. So yummy! You can even thicken sauces with the soy flour. Anywho, today I added Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips to the batter as a special treat. The last time I did this was for Kenz's birthday (Feb 10)- as I served her pancake this morning she started singing "Happy Birthday." She cracks me up!! We thought about explaining that it wasn't her b-day, but eh, why spoil her good mood? We all joined in and had MacKenzie's second 2nd birthday today. No presents necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment